Are you wanting to give your Frenchie a healthy fruit treat but wondering what fruits can French Bulldogs eat?
Fruits for French Bulldog
Fruits are a wonderful treat for your four-legged pals. French Bulldogs can safely eat some fruits while other fruits are toxic to them. Before feeding your Frenchie any fruit, read on to see which fruits are safe for them.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE Should I feed fruits and vegetables to my French Bulldog
- Apples: Apples are an excellent source of fiber and vitamins A and C for French Bulldogs. This crunchy sweet treat is low in protein and fat, making it the perfect snack for senior dogs. Remove the core, seeds, and stem before giving the apple to your dog. Apple seeds contain a small amount of cyanide which is toxic to French Bulldogs.
- Pears: Pears are tasty sweet and juicy fruit that are rich in vitsmins, antioxidants, and minerals. They are a great treat for French Bulldogs and are high in copper, vitamin C and K, and fiber. Remove the pit and seeds first before feeding pears to your Frenchie. Pear seeds contain traces of cyanide.
- Oranges: Oranges are fine for French Bulldogs to eat in small quantities. These strong-smelling citrus fruits are an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. Oranges have a lot of natural sugar and are not good for overweight or diabetic dogs. Only feed fleshy part of oranges to French Bulldogs and avoid feeding orange peel and seeds.
- Peaches: French Bulldogs can eat peaches when fed in moderate amount. This popular summer fruit is a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin A and C. They can even help fight infections in dogs. However, the pit contains cyanide.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are rich in antioxidants and prevent cell damage in French Bulldogs. These superfoods are also packed with fiber and phytochemicals.
- Strawberries: Strawberries are delicious and juicy fruit. They are full of fiber and vitamin C. Strawberries also contain sugar, so feed them to your Frenchie in moderation.
- Pineapples: A few chunks of pineapple is an awesome sweet treat for French Bulldogs. The tropical fruit is full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Pineapple also contains an enzyme, bromelain, that helps French Bulldogs to absorb proteins.
- Mango: Mango is a sweet summer treat packed with potassium, vitamin A, B6, C, and E. It can be given in as an occasional treat to your French Bulldog. Never feed the hard pit as it contains small amounts of cyanide and may become a choking hazard for Frenchies.
- Watermelon: Watermelon is full of vitamin A, vitanmin B-6, and vitamin C, and potassium. It is 92% water and helps keep your French Bulldog hydrated on hot summer days. Remove the rind and seeds before feeding watermelon to Frenchies.
- Cantaloupe: This tasty melon is safe for your French Bulldogs to eat in moderation. Cantaloupe is a great source of fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, and potassium. Also this juicy fruit is also low in calories and high in water content. Cantaloupe promotes healthy digestion in Frenchies and prevents constipation and dehydration. Cantaloupe rinds can cause gastrointestinal upset and may pose a choking hazard for French Bulldogs.
- Cranberries: Cranberries are safe to feed to your French Bulldogs in small quantities. However, a large number of cranberries can lead to an upset stomach in French Bulldogs.
- Raspberries: Raspberries contain antioxidants and are high in fiber, manganese, and vitamin C. They are low in sugar and calories and have anti-inflammatory properties. This makes them a great treat for senior French Bulldogs to help their aging joints. However, feed raspberries in small amounts as they contain traces of xylitol.
- Blackberries: Blackberries are sweet, juicy, and delicious fruit. They are packed with antioxidants, vitamins and other nutrients. They are safe for French Bulldog to eat when fed in small amounts. Blackberries are a great source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Manganese, and fiber. They are also low in calories, carbs, and fat, thus making it a great treat for French Bulldogs.
- Bananas: Bananas are a super low-calorie treat for French Bulldogs, if given in moderation. This yummy fruit is high in fiber, potassium, vitamins, biotin, and copper. Bananas are also low in sodium and cholesterol. Because of the high sugar content, they should be given as an occasional treat to French Bulldogs.
Quick tip: Remember that all fruits should be introduced into your dog’s diet gradually. This will help you to monitor your French Bulldog for reactions and adverse effects.
Take a look at the elevated Frenchie food bowl
You should offer fruits to your Frenchies in moderation. An excess of fruits can give your French Bulldog an upset stomach. Also, skip canned fruits with preservatives and dugary syrups and feed fresh organic ones.
Fruits that are not good for French Bulldogs
It is very important to ensure that you know what could be harmful to your Frenchies. Certain common fruits are toxic to dogs. These fruits include:
- Grapes and raisins
- Wild berries
- Unripe tomatoes
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE 10 Foods you should never give to your French Bulldog
Pro tip: If you have any doubt that your French Bulldog might have eaten something they shouldn’t or showing any signs of unusual behavior, always discuss it with your vet.
Final thoughts on fruits for French Bulldogs
By now, you must have a good idea of what fruits should be given to your French Bulldogs. Just make sure to only feed your Frenchie fruits that are safe for them. If your Frenchie eats something that is toxic for them, talk to your vet as soon as possible.
What fruits does your Frenchie enjoy the most? Share your stories and experiences with us.
My Frenchton loves frozen watermelon and a lot of the fruits that are good for her
It’s hard to know what In moderation means. My puppy loves raspberries and as I found out today rose hips. So how much a he eat of his favorites?
My French bulldog seem to like fresh mint and parsley