French Bulldogs, we all know, look quite different than most other dog breeds. Frenchies are cute puppies, and excited pets to have around the house. However, French Bulldogs don't have an obviously expressive face like some other dog breeds such as Labrador, coupled with other attributes of the Frenchie. Some Frenchie owners find it hard to exactly know whether their best friend is happy or not. To help you know whether you have a happy pup, and also get to know when their moods change, we have put together this piece. You'll also learn how you can raise a happy and well-behaved French Bulldog.
Some simple signs, which indicate that your Frenchie is happy are:
- When they wiggle their bottom
- When they give you puppy dog eyes
- When they have relaxed ears and mouth
- When they are playful
- When they smile (Yes, Frenchies do smile)
Other signs of a happy French Bulldog you should look out for include:
- Leaning into you: A happy French Bulldog would usually lean into you when you pet them. It shows that you are doing something that pleases them and they are happy with you. On the other hand, if your Frenchie walks away from you or other people or maintains an unusual distance, this could be an indication that they are not entirely happy with you at that moment. He may just need some space to regain himself, or feel comfortable with the people around.
- Healthy Coat: When French Bulldogs are happy, the happiness radiates around them even on their physical appearances. If your French Bulldog has a shiny, healthy looking coat, apart from the fact that this shows that they are in good health, it is also a great factor in adjudging how happy the Frenchie is. On the other hand, when Frenchies are stressed and unhappy, they tend to lose their beautiful coat. It begins to affect the look of their skin, and they start developing flaky skin. To help your French Bulldog maintain a healthy and happy condition, you should consider feeding your Frenchie a well-balanced diet.
- Tongue Out: Sticking their tongue out is one of the signs that your French bulldog is happy. Note however that it is not all the time that your dog sticks their tongue out that you'll conclude they are happy. Frenchies stick out tongues as a result of overbite or underbite. But, most times when you find your Frenchie sticking their tongue out while they are sleeping, this is a clear indication that they are completely relaxed and happy.
- A Good Eating Habit: When your Frenchie has no problem eating, they are happy. Frenchies are foodies (note that). This particular nature of theirs comes up more when they are very happy. A happy French Bulldog loves to eat. On the other hand, if you find your Frenchie refusing to eat and rather lies around the house, and not even interested in playing as usual, is either they are sick, depressed or unhappy. If you try to restore him to a happy mood and it isn't working, you might need to consult with a Vet.
- Playful: Happy Frenchies are generally very playful. If your French Bulldog loves to play, this is a good sign that they are happy. On the other hand, if your Frenchie seems to be lethargic, or uninterested in doing anything, you should consider taking them to the Vets.
And lastly, how do you know when French Bulldogs are happy? Well, I’ve explained a lot in this guide, but the bottom line is; are they excited to see you when you get home? Do you give them plenty of attention and take good care of diet and exercise? Does your dog follow you everywhere and just want to be around you?
If you can tick all of these boxes, then I am pretty sure you have a happy and healthy Frenchie.